NEFS 2021 Block 6
A five-week block of fiddle tuition, with online and in-person options, beginning on Wednesday 3rd November.
In-person and Online options!
Video Tutorials of in-depth fiddle tuition, full Resources and live Zoom calls, with call recordings available for catch up. Plus in-person workshop options focusing on playing in sessions, and a full-day of in-depth technique and tunes.
We are again offering three different strands of fiddle tuition for Block 6, all of which complement each other and we encourage you to attend as many events as you are able to and feel comfortable to.
Our online offerings will continue in the same format as for recent online blocks.
- 5 week course of fully-online fiddle tuition, accessible from anywhere and at any time.
- Four in-depth sets of Video Tutorials, two each aimed at Level 2 and Level 3, but available to all. Each set of videos includes technique, a tune taught by the phrase and a detailed look at bowing, ornamentation or stylistic interpretation.
- Wednesday evening live Zoom calls, including Fiddle Practice, a Technical Nugget and learning a tune on Zoom (previously known as the Live Teaching element – not to be confused with the in-person workshops!)
- Recordings of Zoom calls available for catch-up.
- Tunes and tuition from both Melissa and Stewart.
This block runs from Weds 3rd November to 1st December, with an optional social play-along session on Zoom on Weds 8th December.
Cost is £60 for the five week block.
Two in-person evenings of Workshops & Sessions
at Westfield School, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 4HS
Thursday 11th and 25th November
Cost is £30 for the two workshops
(there may be an alternative venue for 25th November, but it will be in the Gosforth area)
- In-person tuition focusing on playing in sessions.
- 2 Thursday evening workshops, 7 – 9 pm.
- Technique focused on pattern recognition useful for picking up tunes.
- Learn some useful session tunes.
- A chance to play in a tutor-guided session, using the tunes learnt here plus others taught previously at NEFS workshops, in the Live Teaching Zoom calls and popular session tunes. All materials are provided to everyone.
Saturday Full-day Workshop
Saturday 20th November, 10.00 am – 4.30 pm
at Wylam Methodist Church, Chapel Lane, Wylam NE41 8AA
Cost is £40 for the full day. Tea/coffee included, bring your own lunch.
- In-person group fiddle tuition focusing on developing fiddle technique.
- Tunes and technique delivered by both Melissa and Stewart.
- In-depth fiddle teaching aimed at Levels 2 and 3.
- Day includes 3 mixed ability workshops and a tutor-guided session.
All of our in-person workshops will be run under our Covid-Secure Music Workshop Guidelines.
By signing up to attend you agree to follow these guidelines which are available here, and may be updated at any point up until the workshops begin.
Book your place by purchasing your options from the Shop.
- A 5% discount is applied if you purchase any two options.
- A 10% discount if you purchase all three options.
Add the products to your basket where the discount will be applied. Check what you have added by using the menu: Shop > Cart. You can checkout using PayPal, or by indicating that you will pay by bank transfer or by posting a cheque. All details are provided after you click “Place Order”.
Details of Online option:
Fiddle Practice Calls are available to all participants on a Wednesday evening (7.00 – 7.40 pm). These are held on Zoom and are an optional extra to learning the tunes in the video tutorials. They are a chance to play along with a tutor-led practice session, giving you 30 minutes of fiddle practice and ideas to take away for your own practice, including a useful ‘Technical nugget’. There is also a Tune Surgery Q&A event which is held from Week 2 onwards at 6.45 pm (before the Fiddle Practice Call) to address any questions raised from the video tutorials. Signing up includes an invitation to the Social event on Zoom at the end of the block, where we will play through the video tutorial tunes together and a selection of the Live Teaching tunes. A recording of every call will be available on YouTube, and is included in the cost.
The Live Teaching calls will be on a Wednesday evening following the Fiddle Practice Call, running from 7.50 – 8.30 pm for the 5 weeks. This event will focus on Core Repertoire using fundamental fiddle techniques, and will be accessible to both Level 2 and 3 players. This will include revision of the tunes previously taught, with full resources and recordings of past calls provided for those new to the Live Teaching element. There will also be new tunes to add to your core repertoire, taught be ear with full supporting resources available. Recordings of the Live Teaching calls will be available each week if you miss one, have technical difficulties, or prefer to work from YouTube and not Zoom.
All course materials are provided via a password protected webpage. Worksheets (pdf files) and audio files (mp3 files) are available to view/listen online or download. Video tutorials and Recordings of live calls are provided as links to unlisted YouTube videos. New resources will be added each week, and then all materials will be available for you to access in your own time for as long as you need them.
Materials for both levels will be available to all participants, so you don’t need to decide which level you are signing up to in advance. For information on the standard at which each level is aimed, please see the Ability Level Guide.