Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd August 2020
Two days of live fiddle workshops, exclusive video tutorials, sessions, concerts and guided fiddle practice. Events will be aimed at all abilities of fiddle player from competent beginner through to advanced, led by guest tutors Kevin Lees, Sophy Ball, Grace Smith and Jim Boyle, alongside our regular tutors Melissa Whitehead and Stewart Hardy.
The weekend will be a mix of Live events on Zoom and exclusive Video Tutorials recorded for the Summer School, and each tutor will share their expertise with different ability levels. There will be suggested times over the weekend for several video tutorials, but you will have access to those purchased for 6 months with all supporting materials available to download.
There will be four ability levels (Competent Beginner, Lower Intermediate, Upper Intermediate and Advanced) with one live workshop and one video tutorial dedicated to each level, plus a wider selection of video tutorials focusing on Style led by each tutor. There will be time during the weekend to attend the events dedicated to your level and to one other, so you can try the workshops and videos for the next closest level as well. For example if you are a Lower Intermediate player, you could, in addition, challenge yourself to the Upper Intermediate tunes, or consolidate what you know by joining the Competent Beginners.
Virtual Summer School Pass:
Standard Price: £60 – Book now!
Pay More: £70 – Pay more to support NEFS, or perhaps where more people in your household will enjoy the concert or session.
Pay Less: £50 – If you need to pay less, no questions asked.
As a VSS Pass Holder, come to all the live events and receive continued access to all video tutorials for 6 months.
Sponsor the NEFS Virtual Summer School
Sponsorship: £100 – A Virtual Summer School Pass, named thanks (if you want it!) on all videos, maybe some exclusive perks (to be confirmed!) and our undying thanks!
Some events will be available individually:
In-depth Video Tutorials: £15 each
Details of individual tutorials will be available soon in the NEFS Shop.
Summer School Tutors’ Concert: £12
On sale at a future date, if space allows:
Live Tune Workshops: £10 each
All other events are for VSS Pass holders only.
~ ~ ~
Provisional Outline Timetable
– Live: Guided Fiddle Practice – play-along with tips and techniques for effective practice
– Live: Tune Workshops for specific levels
– Video Tutorials for specific levels
– Live: Meet the Tutors – introducing the tutors and the tunes they have chosen to teach
– Live: Guided Fiddle Practice
– Style Video Tutorials on topics chosen by the tutors, with a chance to ask questions aftewards live on Zoom
– Live: Session led by the tutors – the first half will be a steady session, followed by regular session tunes after the break
– Live: Guided Fiddle Practice, Live workshops and Video tutorials by level
– Live: Guided Fiddle practice and Style Video Tutorials
– Live: Ask the Tutors – Q&A panel on all things fiddle related
– Live: Play through the VSS Big Tune (a tune we can all learn from a video tutorial and play together at the end of the afternoon)
– Virtual Summer School Tutors’ Concert on YouTube
~ ~ ~
Ability Levels and Events
For each ability Level below there will be one dedicated live workshop on Zoom and one video tutorial.
- Competent Beginners
- Lower Intermediates
- Upper Intermediates
If you need some help in deciding which level is right for you, please see our Ability Level Guide.
There will also be six Style videos, three aimed at Competent Beginners/Lower Intermediates, and three more aimed at Upper Intermediates/Advanced. So in total there will be 10 videos across all levels, supported by notation and audio files, plus the VSS Big Tune accessible to all.
You can read more about our wonderful VSS Tutors on the Meet the Team page.
Provisional Tuition Schedule:
|Level||Live Workshop led by||Video Tutorial led by|
|1||Melissa Whitehead||Sophy Ball|
|2||Stewart Hardy||Grace Smith|
|3||Sophy Ball||Kevin Lees|
|4||Kevin Lees||Stewart Hardy|
|VSS Big Tune||Jim Boyle|
|Grouped Level||Style Video led by||Details of topics|
|1 & 2||Kevin Lees|
|1 & 2||Grace Smith|
|1 & 2||Melissa Whitehead|
|3 & 4||Sophy Ball|
|3 & 4||Jim Boyle|
|3 & 4||Stewart Hardy|