A huge thank you to Grace Smith and Kevin Lees who have provided some wonderful teaching throughout 2024 Block 1, alongside Stewart. We are now looking forward to 2024 Block 2, with Grace and Stewart sharing the teaching on a Wednesday evening, and this block we will also have a Video Tutorial from Grace. Bookings will be open soon, so do check the Shop regularly!
NEFS 2024 Block 2: Feb/Mar 2024
2024 Block 2 Online will run from Wednesday 28th Feburary to 27th March, plus we will have an optional Play-along Session on Weds 3rd April. There will be online tuition, both live Zoom calls and recorded Video Tutorials, from Stewart Hardy and Grace Smith. The block runs for five weeks with Zoom calls on Wednesday evenings, which are also available as recordings on-demand, and video tutorials are published weekly for you to work through at your own pace.
Our Saturday workshop will be on 16th March at Wylam Methodist Church. More details below, and if you book the Online Block and the Saturday workshop, there is a discount.
NEFS workshops are aimed at improving fiddle players, and are not suitable for absolute beginners. We aim to introduce tunes that are accessible for a wide range of players (from Level 2, those able to play a simple tune steadily – see the Ability Level Guide for reference) for the melody and bowing suggestions. We then explore the tunes in greater stylistic detail and with suggestions for ornamentation for Level 3 players.
Online – Zoom calls and Video Tutorials:
Wednesday 28th February to 27th March
- 5 week course of fully-online fiddle tuition, accessible on Zoom and YouTube from anywhere and at any time with Stewart Hardy and Grace Smith.
- Three in-depth sets of Video Tutorials from Stewart Hardy and Grace Smith, each of which includes elements of technique, a tune taught by the phrase and a detailed look at bowing, ornamentation or stylistic interpretation.
- Wednesday evening live Zoom calls, including Fiddle Practice and Tune Learning in the Zoom workshop, plus playing through previous tunes which form our core repertoire.
- Recordings of all Zoom calls available for catch-up on demand.
Saturday Tunes & Technique Workshop
Saturday 16th March, 10.00 am – 5.00 pm
at Wylam Methodist Church, Chapel Lane, Wylam NE41 8AA
£47 including tea & coffee
- In-person tuition focusing on developing fiddle technique
- Tunes and technique delivered by highly experienced folk fiddle tutors
- In-depth fiddle teaching aimed competent beginners through to upper intermediates
- The day includes 3 mixed ability workshops, looking at tunes and techniques, and a tutor-led session to finish the day
- Morning coffee and afternoon tea included
- 10:00 – 11:15 : Workshop 1
- 11:15 – 11:45 : Morning break
- 11:45 – 13:00 : Workshop 2
- 13:00 – 14:00 : Lunch
- 14:00 – 15:15 : Workshop 3
- 15:15 – 15:45 : Afternoon break
- 15:45 – 17:00 : Session
The in-person workshops will be run with an awareness of the current COVID-19 situation. By attending an in-person event organised by NEFS, you agree to follow our guidelines, and any further reasonable requests made by the venue, the Tutors or Directors, to keep the group safe and all attendees feeling as comfortable as possible.
Details of the Online Block option:
Fiddle Practice Calls are available to all participants on a Wednesday evening (7.00 – 7.40 pm). These are held on Zoom and are an extra, regular way to practice along with learning the tunes in the video tutorials. They are a chance to play along with a tutor-led practice session, giving you 40 minutes of fiddle practice and ideas to take away for your own practice. There is also a Tune Surgery Q&A event which is held from Week 2 onwards at 6.45 pm (before the Fiddle Practice Call) to address any questions raised from the video tutorials, or fiddle playing in general. A recording of every call will be available on YouTube, and is included in the cost.
The Live Teaching calls will be on a Wednesday evening following the Fiddle Practice Call, running from 7.50 – 8.30 pm for the 5 weeks. These will focus on core repertoire using fundamental fiddle techniques, and will aim to be accessible to all from competent beginners upwards. This will include revision of the tunes previously taught, with full resources and recordings of past calls provided for those new to the Live Teaching element. There will also be new tunes to add to your core repertoire, taught be ear with full supporting resources available. Recordings of the Live Teaching calls will be available each week if you miss one, have technical difficulties, or prefer to work from YouTube and not Zoom.
All course materials are provided via a password protected webpage. Worksheets (pdf files) and audio files (mp3 files) are available to view/listen online or download. Video Tutorials and Recordings of live calls are provided as links to unlisted YouTube videos. New resources will be added each week, and then all materials will be available for you to access in your own time for as long as you need them.